South Kelowna Elementary is a modern, attractive school located approximately 10 kilometres south of downtown Kelowna amid a semi-rural area of family homes, fruit trees and farms. With 18 acres of recreational space, it has the largest school grounds in School District #23. It has a full size soccer pitch, 4 mini-fields, a senior ball diamond, 2 small diamonds, 2 adventure playgrounds, a multi-purpose rink for hockey lacrosse or tennis and a tree park area. It is truly a neighbourhood school with committed and involved parent support. The joint-use agreement with the City Of Kelowna results in many after school programs and community events at the school. Presently we have 240 students from Kindergarten to Grade 6 and a teaching and support staff of 24.
In 1922 the first South Kelowna Elementary School was opened in a survey camp building in the North West corner of Centennial Park. The first teacher was Mr. Alfred Hooper. Mr. Hooper taught nine students and the budget for his salary and supplies was $300.00.
In 1924 a new school was built on the east side of Spiers Road across the street from the building present today. Fifteen students attended, all in one room. Inside was a pot-bellied stove for heat and gas lamps for light. Outside, there were outdoor toilets, a woodshed, a well and water pump, a place to tether the horses, swings. and a baseball diamond. In 1927 an activity room was added to the back of the school for art and gym classes and community social events. This building was sold to the Kelowna Riding Club and moved to Casorso Road.
In 1950 a new school opened on the present site. There were 32 students in five grades. In the school there were two classrooms, two washrooms and one office.
Between 1967 and 1976 there were new additions of a kindergarten room, classrooms, small kitchen, a library and a small gymnasium. In 1975 there were 144 Kindergarten to Grade 7students and 7 teachers.
In 1997 the present addition and renovations were made. It was a joint development between School District #23 and the City of Kelowna. Our community school has 13 classrooms, a large gym, computer lab, community kitchen, sports equipment storage room, playground and 18 acres of grounds. The joint use agreement between the city, the community, and the school district is being implemented and many recreational and social programs run after school hours.